shared meals – interlude
Before moving onto the all important topic of the Last Supper/Lord’s supper I wanted to take a brief detour and get some extra thoughts out about shared meals in general. i was re-reading this morning some thoughts by Jean Vanier in Community and Growth and I was reminded again of this down to earth genius and the depth of experience he brings to all things community. He has a section on meals right at the end of Community and Growth that is worth a long, hard look. So this, in the spirit of a discussion on food, is simply and appetizer summary of his thoughts.
- Meals are for joy and recreation not work and strained conversation
- Meals and love have linked for us since infancy since we were dependent on someone caring for us enough to feed us.
- Laughter helps digestion.
- Self service meals (buffets) are a horrible idea. Sometimes just passing the potatoes brings someone out of isolation and allows them a very practical way to express love for another. (keep in mind he is dealing with very wounded, broken people in his communities who suffer from MRDD issues. Also keep in mind we are all wounded and broken and probably don’t even realize the depth of it and need this simple advice as much as anyone. Myself majorly included.)
- Meals are about more than food… they are about conversation, connection, laughter, sharing, beauty etc.
- Eating well does not mean eating expensively. Simplicity is good and can be beautiful.